Friday, May 18, 2012

First Brick Workout!

Yesterday I completed my first-ever brick workout.  I will be doing a lot of these until my duathlon in July to get used to the transition between running and biking and biking and running.

We did a bike/run brick around 6PM yesterday evening.  First, we biked for 10ish miles.  It was fairly uneventful, with a few good-sized hills thrown in for fun.  We saw some goats, cows, and horses while on the bike, since the route we took is in a semi-rural area.  At one point we turned on the wrong road, and as we were turning around, I was going a little too fast.  I ended up slipping off the edge of the asphalt (no curbs in rural areas, remember!) and nearly sliding down the steep edge of the ditch (no shoulder on the road, either!) while still mounted on my bike.  I managed to stop myself without falling down, but my pedal did scrape up (and subsequently bruised) the back of my right calf.  But, all's well that ends well, right? :)

Once we returned to the car, we had to put our bikes back on the car, so there was a bit of a rest in between the biking and running, but that's OK.  We ran about .75 miles, just so I could get a feel for what it's like.  It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be, but my muscles and joints definitely felt very loose and jello-y.  It was pretty warm compared to the temperatures I've been running in, so my heart rate was high and I had to walk more than usual, but it was OK.

All in all, I really enjoyed my first multisport workout experience, and I can't wait to do it again!  Tomorrow I'm doing 6 or 7 miles with the team.  I think we may go by the rec center tonight to sign up for memberships (The Husband gets a discount as a city employee), so hopefully I'll start lifting weights and taking classes, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment